Wednesday, January 7, 2009

One small house add on

On project that took me a couple of months to get around to was hanging the dart board. I needed a good place to hang it, and a good thing to hang it on (backing). I had one I purchased from Walmart years ago, complete with the wooden case, but it was falling apart, not really a good board, and the case was more hassle that it was worth.

So looking around the house, I dug out some scraps leftover from the construction and made a new backer for it.

1 piece of 3/4" plywood, a matching piece of fairly thick carpet, both cut in something kind of like a square (probably more of a rectangle), a couple of pieces of corner molding and some finishing nails, and a couple of long screws, and I had somehow manage to build something that didn't suck and almost looked decent.



The only thing I purchased special for it was the molding and finishing nails. I tried to miter the corners of it using a saw (with no miter box), and when that got to be too much of a pain, I went to mitering with a dremel tool. Probably a good thing you can't zoom in on this image too much; the corners look better this way :)

A few small screws hold the carpet to the plywood, plus the finishing nails go through the molding and hold it around the edges. It's attached to the studs in the wall behind it via 4 2" screws. It's not going anywhere.

The carpet is fairly thick (Karastan if anyone cares - expensive stuff), and presses tight against the board, so it doesn't rotate too easily either.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Nicely done. Good job recycling materials too. Just don't let me play on that board -- I'll be sure to throw your darts right at the screw heads!