Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"Hot town, summer in the city

. . .back of my neck getting dirty and gritty. . ."

When we made an offer for the house, we included getting central AC. And they agreed.

Due to the time frame for the house being built, they didn't install the compressor (we had a holdback of a few grand to cover the stuff that the builder had to finish in the spring).

Finally, summer comes, they've installed the compressor. We finally go to turn it on, and nothing. Not a sound from anything except a click in the thermostat. Look outside, and the compressor isn't moving. So I call the company that installed it, since it's under warranty. They eventually send someone out, who tells me that no one hooked up the power to the compressor, and that I have to get an electrician to do that. I think it's extremely stupid that they don't have an electrician on their staff just for that purpose. They never even told anyone that an electrician needed to come out.

So I get the electrician that did the original work on my house to come out, and he connects it up. He apparently stopped by and did it when I was out (there's a separate outside breaker box), so when I need the AC again, and start getting pissed, I find out that it's hooked up. I started it, didn't come on, call the electrician again, he comes out, and it turns out the the HVAC people screwed up some internal wiring. He gets it working, cursing them.

We turn on the AC, head out for a couple of hours, come back, and the basement floor is being covered with water, and the house isn't significantly cooler. So I call the HVAC people again. They send someone out, and he drills a hole in the slab of my house, and runs a PVC drain pipe into it, tells my wife that there's another thing that needs to be fixed and leaves. I find this out when I come home, get really pissed off because I've had to call them so many times, and they still haven't got the damn thing working right. And they didn't even clean up the extra pieces of pipe and cement dust off the floor. I find out that they installed the wrong size evaporator in the unit, so they have to get the new one and bring it. In the meantime, it will work, just not as effeciently. They installed the system, but didn't put the right part in?

I call my contractor to find out how bad an idea it is to drain under the slab, because it sounds stupid to me. He has them (the HVAC people) send someone out to install a drain pump. Apparently this guy is actually decent, says that it's an unfinished basement, so running this drain isn't a problem, and should have been done from the beginning. He also cleans up the mess left by the other guys, fills in the holes (there are actually 3 - guess they couldn't find a good place the 2nd time) with silicon. Since that, so far, we've had no problems.

A pain in the butt that took over 2 weeks to resolve, but in the end, it's worth it. It works well now, and I was shocked by how little it affected the power bill.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Tom! There's some kind of 5-month time warp delay on your blog. What's going on now? :)